shall we not

Friday, August 05, 2005

a blush of boys

1. Collectivity
whilst trying to come up with a good metaphor to introduce my chapter i came across an excellent list of collective nouns. Alongside the excellent ones for birds (chattering of choughs, raft of ducks, exaltation of larks, covey of ptmarmigan, parliament of rooks, fall of woodcock) were some great ones for people (pity of prisoners, stalk of foresters and faith of merchants) and lest us forget other animals (sloth of bear, buisness of ferrets, skulk of foxes, labour of moles and a crash of rhinos).

2. A proliferation of posts
In answer to Pete's question. I email my work to myself due to intense paranoia so whilst online i try and blog too. It helps me relax a bit but whilst thinking about words and sentences at the same time-bonus

3. Hell Yes!
I have finsihed a first draft clocking in at 20 pages and 9,479 words- now i don't have to look at again for a few weeks. Thought about putting it up but realised that would be a)rather self absorbed and b)bit risky given anyone could read it (a guy in my office found that someone in Latvia was doing almost the exact same research as him and was tempted to pass off his work as his own)

4. Evenings off
Watched the excellent Laramie Project which is about a murder that took place in Wyoming. It blew up and became a national thing about hate crime (the victim was killed because he was gay) and the film was about a theatre company who went there and interviewed the town about the crime and the repercussions. It was done by HBO (who do Six Feet Under et al) and the cast was amazing featuring loads from HBO series (Clea DuVall, and the crazy preacher off Carnivale) but people like Laura Linney, Peter Fonda, Steve Buscemi, Christinna Ricci and Jeremy Davies as well- very impressive. I can't do it justice putting bits of it in but i really recommend it.

1 Comments:

  • I'd like to read a draft, if you wouldn't mind. I don't think it's self-absorbed at all (but then I did once post copies of my MA essays and thesis on the internet, just in case anyone would read them and think i was a genius). You could email it to me? I promise I won't apply to a Latvian university and pass it off as my own...

    By Blogger Abigail, at 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home