shall we not

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

the hankerings of a glutton

Due to a serve case of writer's block yesterday i decided to update my list of albums i keep for insurance and realised i hadn't done it since i move back to Sheffield. This resulted in a number of things becoming painfully clear:

1. I buy and own a lot of cds.
2. I haven't actually listened to some of them for at least a year (if not more) and hold onto them because they remind me of something, someone or some period of my life.
3. I think i could get my collection down substantially by keeping hold of the ones i actually listened to regularly but i can't decide if this is a good idea or not. It probably is for the purposes of moving anyway.
4. I have decided to implement a month cooling period for all the cd's i want to see if i still want them in a month, for example i currently would like to have the new albums by doves, rufus wainwright, jack johnson and that's just off the top of my head.
5. Doing the insurance list made me realise that some of my albums get engulfed by the other ones so i forget i have them so cataloguing throws up some albums i really like but had just forgotten about, for example, the second Sigur Ros (the first half anyway) and the Radio Department or ones i need to give another chance such as Nico and the Coffee and Cigarettes soundtrack

3 Comments:

  • I am hugely offended by the suggestion that, for one, you should feel ashamed or embbarrassed by a large record collection, and two, the idea of selling them off like tatty old furniture! Your albums are your history! No matter how emarrassing.

    By Blogger Pete, at 8:30 PM  

  • I'm not ashamed of my collection but just find it a bit strange that i don't actually listen to large portions of it.

    By Blogger hugh, at 8:50 PM  

  • Oh dear, look at my spelling.

    Yeah, but you might want to listen to them at some point, no matter how long they collect dust on your shelf. No one can ever consistently listen to lots of albums for a sustained period.
    I've sold some of my albums in the past, and I've regretted it.

    By Blogger Pete, at 6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home