shall we not

Monday, March 14, 2005

i'm leaving but i don't know where to

An excellent music based couple of days- Modest Mouse on the OC (who were my favourite album of last year- buy Good News For People who Love Bad News...now) and last night Rilo Kiley and Bright Eyes (who only played one track off Lifted though) in Wolverhampton.

Going to gigs on your own is a bit wierd, you end up sending loads of text messages and trying to cultivate that i'm waiting for my mate/girlfriend look. Also gives the opportunity to try a perfect the art of being late enough to not seem like a loser but early enough to see the bands (i missed about 15 minutes of Rilo Kiley). Spent a lot of the evening pondering the eternal dilemma of whether i'm a Brian Krakow or a Seth Cohen

4 Comments:

  • now here's the thing - if you send lots of texts to make it look like you're waiting for a mate or a girlfriend, and someone near you clocks this, then you actually make yourself look more of a loser when your mate/girlfriend never ever turns up.

    instead, embrace the coolness of being sure enough in yourself to be going to a gig alone. you are very cool hugh and we all know that you are at a gig alone for reasons a million miles away from not having anyone to be at a gig with.

    ps. next time, can we receive one of your texts?!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:38 AM  

  • Cheers Bea, maybe i should try and cultivate my confident middle distance stare instead, i've got good at this at the cinema and shopping in town. I normally just text people i haven't talked to for a while so i ended up texting my lovely sister but next time, you guys'll be on my gig texting list! See you Tuesday night

    By Blogger hugh, at 9:57 AM  

  • i'm thinking way more of a seth cohen.
    a) he has much cooler hair than brian (and so do you)
    b) seth being a bad boy was a stroke of genius that brian would never have been able to pull off with such aplomb. i would pay good money to see you steal an aston martin to impress a girl, get drunk and do a starsky & hutch roll over the bonnet of a car. way way cool.
    c) seth's dry wit is much cooler than brian's wet-lettuce appeal, and is something i think you share with mr brody.and
    d) you also wear stripey things. case closed!

    By Blogger Abigail, at 1:34 PM  

  • I'm with Bea on that. When I've been to gigs on my own I've liked to think that it gives off the impression that because I'm there on my own I'm obviously there in some kindof professional capacity. I'm almost certainly wrong but it makes me feel better! Perhaps having a palmpilot to take notes on might add to the aura, or else it might be an expensive way of looking like a ponce... not sure really.

    By Blogger Si, at 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home